Contracts mystify many creative professionals, yet they are the lifeblood of the trade. In this workshop, geared towards freelance creatives and small agencies, we will work together to understand contracts and see how they can be used as a tool to do better work, make more money and keep clients happy.
This workshop will teach the basics of how contracts work, how to approach contract negotiation as a collaborative process, explain important and common contract clauses and offer guidance on when and how to seek help drafting or enforcing contracts.
Here is what you will learn, at the very least:
• What a contract is and how it is formed.
• How contracts are structured.
• Common contract clauses.
• Typical issues in creative contracts.
• How to approach contracts with your clients in a non-adverserial way.
• Using online signing services to make the process painless.
• How to find and adapt basic contracts.
• How to enforce contracts.
• How to work with an attorney to draft, modify and enforce contracts.
Date: Saturday, June 15, 2013 | 9:00AM to 1:00PM | Venue: The Hub Los Angeles 830 Traction Ave. #3A Los Angeles, CA 90012 | Tickets: $89
Since this is an early “beta” of what we hope will become a valuable, repeatable event for the creative community, participation in this first workshop will be limited to just 10 people.
About the Organizers
Jonathan Tobin is a California attorney and worked as a graphic designer and web developer for over a decade. He helps creators, makers and innovators use the law to become more successful.
Spencer Cross is an LA-based designer and artist. He is an evangelist for the LA design community and works to foster community and camaraderie among LA-area creative professionals by coordinating a variety of social and educational events and discussion forums.